Peak & Northern Footpaths Society (est.1894)

Recording Lost Ways

There are 3 stages to recording a right of way not on the definitive map:

Stage 1 - Identify unrecorded rights of way

The first step is to look on modern and old maps to find paths that are not on the definitive map. Useful map evidence can be paths which end at a parish boundary, sections of paths or bridleways that are not joined-up, paths on old maps no longer shown on recent maps. There are two possible ways of doing this. Firstly by looking for all Lost ways in a defined area, such as a parish, and secondly looking for routes that would be useful 'missing links' if they were found to be rights of way.

Stage 2 - Researching the evidence

Before claiming a path for the definitive map the applicant must find the evidence that it existed as a right of way before 1949. Evidence may be found in inclosure awards, tithe maps, Finance Act 1910 maps and other official documents. Such evidence must be examined in national and local record offices, in estate archives and among parish and community council paper.

Stage 3 - Claiming the path

An application is submitted to the relevant ‘surveying authority’, i.e. the county or unitary council, using the correct legal form with supporting evidence.

Each of these stages requires knowledge and expertise. This is where PNFS can help you.

Related pages

What are Lost Ways? Aims & Principles Get Involved What is PNFS doing?